From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Date of birth||November 23, 1979 (1979-11-23)|
|Place of birth||Istanbul, Turkey|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
1 Senior club appearances and goals
Nihat Kahveci (born 23 November 1979 in Istanbul) is a Turkish footballer currently playing for Villarreal CF of the Spanish La Liga and for the Turkish national team. He made his debut for Turkey in 2000 against Sweden. Nihat plays predominantly as a forward but can also play as an attacking midfielder.
 Club career
Nihat is a product of Beşiktaş J.K.'s youth system and was discovered by Hurser Tugay Çelebi when Nihat played in Beşiktaş in the 1996-97 season. He joined the first team at Beşiktaş in the 1997–98 season. In January 2002, he was transferred to Real Sociedad in Spain by former Beşiktaş coach John Toshack. While at Real Sociedad, Nihat scored 57 goals in 115 appearances. In the 2002-03 season, Nihat scored 23 goals making him the league's joint-second highest scorer for the season behind Roy Makaay (29 goals) and tied with Ronaldo. He had a very fruitful strike partnership with Serbian forward Darko Kovačević, such that sports journalist Phil Ball nicknamed the pair "Little and large," in reference to the height difference between them (Nihat's height is 1.75 m and Kovačević's is 1.87 m).
 International career
 Euro 2008
In the final match of Euro 2008 Group A, Nihat led the Turkish team in a pivotal match against the Czech Republic. Both teams were level on points, both having beaten Switzerland and lost to Portugal, with exactly the same amount of goals scored and conceded, a win would guarantee a quarter-finals spot whilst a draw would mean penalty-shootouts would be required. The Czechs took a 2-0 lead through a Jan Koller header and a Jaroslav Plašil goal and the score remained 2-0 until the 75th minute when Arda Turan scored making it 2-1. Then, the captain Nihat took matters into his own hands. His first goal came in the 87th minute; Hamit Altıntop's cross was dropped by Petr Čech letting Nihat easily tap the ball into the net. He scored his second goal two minutes later, a wonderful curling finish from outside the box, helping Turkey win the match 3–2.
Nihat was ruled out of Turkey's semi-final with Germany due to a thigh injury, which ultimately required surgery and will prevent him from playing for Villarreal in the early part of the 2008-09 season.
 Career statistics
 Club career
|Club||Season||Domestic League||Domestic Cups||Europe||Total|
As of June 2008
 International Goals
- Real Sociedad
- La Liga: Runner-up 2003
- La Liga: Runner-up 2008
|Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. Please relocate any relevant information into appropriate sections or articles. (January 2008)|
- Nihat's family name, Kahveci, means "coffee maker." Several people in Turkey adopted the name of their profession as their family name in the early 20th century, suggesting that Nihat's ancestors were in the coffee business.
- Like most Turkish players, his shirt carries his first name, Nihat, rather than his family name, Kahveci.
- ^ a b "KADRO - SQUAD". http://www.tff.org/default.aspx?pageID=702. Retrieved on 2008-07-03.
- ^ "Little and Large". ESPNsoccernet. 2003-05-09. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=263430&root=europe&&cc=5739. Retrieved on 2008-06-23.
- ^ "Injury rules Nihat out of Euros". BBC Sport. 2008-06-23. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7363524.stm. Retrieved on 2008-06-23.
 External links
- FootballDatabase provides Nihat Kahveci's profile and stats
- An editorial piece on the Nihat - Kovacevic partnership by sports writer Phil Ball